Thursday, September 10, 2015

Trippin' With Toddlers: On the Road and Over My Words

"Did that just really happen?!"  That was the first question I asked myself when I woke up in my own bed (the first morning I was home) after embarking on a 24 day road trip out west with my husband and 22 month old daughter.  I don't know if I was expecting to open my eyes in my tent or in the van, but I was home, and "business as usual" was already in full force.  As I jumped back in to work, my lovely co-workers and friends were asking what any thoughtful human would ask... "How was your vacation?"  How do I answer that in one short phrase?  I just drove across our country breathing in mountain air, dipping my toes in the ocean, and hiking trails that had waterfalls waiting at the end.  We biked on famous bridges, hugged redwood trees, and spent time with family and friends. So I answered... "It was an incredible trip."  TRIP.  NOT a vacation...




I guess my idea of a vacation is laying on a beach drinking a cocktail, or reading a book in a hammock in the woods.  Vacation reminds me of rest and relaxation.  Driving 6,700 miles and 120 + hours in the car with a toddler isn't exactly a vacation.  Setting up camp, cooking, cleaning, dishes, packing up camp, and moving to the next location ins't exactly restful with a toddler.  But someone asked me another question that brought a little more meaning to this whole experience.  " Would you do it again tomorrow?"  My Response?!  "No, but I would next week!  I need some time on my couch."  



I think I am still wonderfully exhausted.  Life on the road is quite the trip! New scenery every couple of days.  New faces, elevations, food, trails, cities and experiences.   Before we left, a few people couldn't believe we were about to take a cross country road trip with a toddler.  "What about her routine?  What will you do in the car?  How will she do camping in a tent?"  These were just a few of the dozen concerning questions I got asked when telling people what we were about to do.

Honestly, the best part for us was getting out of a routine and moving to our own beat.  Creating a rythym as a family.  Seeing each other in a different light, different setting, and a different schedule as we followed the setting sun each day.  


It was an incredible trip. Partly because of watching our daughter grow and learn along the way.  She learned about new landforms, animals, plants, and wild berries.  She played in streams, rivers, waterfalls and the ocean.  She hiked and biked and camped.  She LOVED the hammock!   As far as the car goes, we had bins of books, play-doh, stickers, coloring materials, toys with batteries, puzzles, magnets, music, pipe cleaners, a dozen car activities... and some technology as a last resort.  It all made the time in the car go by much smoother with all of that planning. 

It was also slightly trying for us all.  It was not ALL fabulous (mostly fabulous).  She had moments of boredom.  She had nights of teething.  The change of her routine took some adjusting.  She threw a tantrum.  She woke the neighbors in the middle of the night while camping in Yosemite.  I had my moments of anxiety and exhaustion... partly from her neediness.  

BUT,  those challenges would have happened at home or on the road.  Changes in routine come up all the time in life.  Toddlers grow teeth.  Moms' have moments of worry. Why would I let those frustrating normalities stop us from hitting the road?  exactly... I didn't.  We just did it. And it was worth all of the hard work.... before, during, and after.



If you are  questioning a trip with your children, I highly encourage you to do it!  It doesn't have to be an extravagant event for your children and family to experience the beauty of this earth. Take a camping trip down the road.  Spend a day hiking or biking just outside of your town.  Start where you are comfortable and go for it.  You might surprise yourself... your kids might surprise you too.  Let go of the usual routine and find a new flow as a family for a bit. You'll grow.


  It's worth it!




No comments:

Post a Comment