Tuesday, October 1, 2013

Sacrifice: Simple or Complex?

I am learning a whole new meaning of sacrifice these days.

S urrendering and
A bandoning personal
C omforts that
R eplenish our needs, to
I ndispensably provide
F ulfillment and contentment to others
I n times of
C hallenge, change, and growth in
E xcitable and difficult situations.

Sacrifice has been a part of human culture since looooong before my time.  The history with religious offerings of objects, animals, and human lives has been a sacrificial ritual for many religions throughout the world; yesterday and today.  Family members are continually sacrificing their well being to protect and save the lives of loved ones.  It is amazing what someone will give for others and their belief system no matter what the circumstance.

I  have experienced this word in a whole different context too.  I played volleyball for 5 years.  When a teammate would dive for the ball, we would yell "way to sacrifice your body for the team!"  Or what about the card game bridge? Make a sacrifice bid.   Is this becoming a more casual word and action?

Depending on our backgrounds, generational time on earth, our morals and values, socioeconomic levels, and the country we live in, sacrifice can have a plethora of meanings.

For me, in 2013, living in a quaint home in the middle of a quiet neighborhood in Minnesota, this word has a couple of meanings that strike me.  Ways that it is blessing my life, challenging my life, affecting my life, and shaping my life.

1.  Motherhood-
Becoming a mother.  It is a selfless act of letting go of your body, lifestyle, and personal needs to welcome another life.  It truly is one of the biggest sacrifices a woman can experience.  From the moment my body recognized I was pregnant, and all the unknowns that are ahead, I know I will be sacrificing each day to provide and care for the life of my child.  It will happen in little daily acts as well as life changing situations that arise.

2.  Community-
When times of hardship and unexpected trials are placed on the path we walk, it amazes me how our own community can join together to help ease the discomfort.  Living in a time of schedules and business, sacrificing time to help others can make a huge difference.  For family, friends, and neighbors to take the time to support and care for one and other in times of need, can positively impact the day immensely.

I have noticed and experienced that sacrifice is a gift. In todays time, the little things we do and give up for a stranger or a friend can only make our communities a better place to be. We can all stand to sacrifice something little to better the lives of others.  Sometimes your smallest sacrifice can be the most precious godsend for another.
Quetico, Canada
Photo by: Charity Huot Benedict 

No comments:

Post a Comment