Tuesday, September 17, 2013

Motherhood Begins in a Flash

I became a mother the moment I found out I was carrying life inside my womb.

All thoughts and emotions circle through me in slow motion and fast forward with each blink of my eyes.  Sacrifice.  Selflessness.  Protection.  Love.  These gifts kick in before the awareness grips my being.  A new journey, a new path; dusted with excitement, joy, fear, hope, and compassion as these particles linger and swirl around each step I take.

As an extra heart beat continues to motivate my rhythm of life, the unexpected delicacies flow through sound and silence.  How quickly the tempo can change!  How unpredictably the pattern dances!

As gracefully as I can, I accept that not only is there one new life growing inside my body, but a mother is developing inside my soul.  My existence through this world has a whole new purpose. Each choice, each decision, each surrender is now influenced by a precious baby I have yet to meet.

Baby Benedict

1 comment: